Spaghetti Squash with Italian Sausage Sauce and Arugula Salad
In this recipe, spaghetti squash and chicken sausage provide a lighter version of a hearty Italian dish. A simple arugula salad rounds out the meal.
Makes 4 servings
1 spaghetti squash
1 lb Italian chicken sausage, crumbled
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
2 gloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
5 oz arugula
Juice of 1/2 lemon (about 1-1/2 tbsp)
2 - 4 oz parmeggiano reggiano cheese, grated
Olive oil, salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- While oven heats, cut squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Rub with a light coating of olive oil along with salt and pepper to taste. Place face down in a baking dish and roast until tender, about 45 - 50 minutes.
- While squash cooks, prepare sauce. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large frying pan or cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add chopped onion and sautee for a few minutes until translucent. Add garlic and cook briefly. Add Italian chicken sausage and stir until cooked through. Add spices and stir a moment longer before adding crushed tomatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste and reduce heat to a simmer.
- In a small jar, combine lemon juice with 3 tbsp olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Shake to combine. Toss arugula with salad dressing and parmeggiano reggiano to taste.
- Serve squash topped with sauce and remaining parmeggiano reggiano, with arugula salad on the side.