Chicken Shawarma with Winter Kale Salad
This is a cool weather take on the grilled chicken shawarma recipe featured in our summer 28 day plan. This version makes up quickly in a hot oven and is accompanied by a winter vegetable variation on a greek salad.
Makes 4 servings
4 large boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1.5lbs total)
1/4 cup olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon (about 3 tbsp)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp cayenne
Pinch of cinnamon
1 red onion
8 oz baby kale
2 medium carrots, grated
1/2 cup kalamata olives
2 oz feta cheese, crumbled
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1 clove garlic, crushed
Olive oil, salt and pepper
In Advance: Make marinade and marinate chicken thighs for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
- In a large bowl, mix together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, paprika, cumin, salt, pepper, turmeric, cayenne and cinnamon.
- Add chicken to bowl and mix thoroughly to coat. Refrigerate for 1-24 hours.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- While oven is heating, cut 3/4 of the red onion into wedges and toss with chicken thighs and marinade. Transfer to a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 30 minutes or until chicken thighs are cooked through.
- While chicken thighs are roasting, prepare salad. In a small jar, mix red wine vinegar, dried oregano, crushed garlic and 3 tbsp olive oil with salt and pepper to taste. Shake to combine thoroughly.
- Finely chop the remaining 1/4 red onion. In a large bowl, combine kale, grated carrots, kalamata olives, chopped onion and feta cheese. Toss with dressing.
Note - if two people are preparing this meal, it works well for one person to prepare the chicken while the other prepares the carrots and salad.