Stuffed Peppers with Roasted Zucchini
Cauliflower rice lends itself to a lighter version of stuffed peppers that is hearty enough for a late Fall or Winter meal. Combining red and green peppers makes for a festive prestentation that's perfect for the holidays.
Makes 4 servings
2 red bell peppers
2 green bell peppers
1 lb lean ground beef
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1/2 large head cauliflower
15 oz can tomato sauce
1/4 cup chopped mint leaves
1/4 cup chopped parsley
2 large zucchini
Olive oil, salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- While oven heats, core bell peppers and halve them lengthwise. Coat outside of peppers lightly with olive oil. Place cut side down on baking sheet.
- Cut zucchini into sticks and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Transfer to a baking sheet.
- Grate cauliflower coarsely using a food processor or box grater.
- Put zucchini and peppers into oven. Cook peppers for 10 minutes, then remove from oven and flip over once cooled slightly.
- While zucchini and peppers cook, heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large frying pan or cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add chopped onion and sautee for a few minutes until translucent. Add garlic and cook briefly.
- Add ground beef to skillet and cook until browned, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper. Add cauliflower and stir for a few minutes longer. Add mint, parsley and tomato sauce and cook briefly to evaporate any excess moisture.
- Spoon beef and cauliflower filling into pepper halves. Return peppers to oven to cook for another 10 minutes.