Sardines on Wasa Crackers with Winter Minestrone
A vegetarian minestrone makes a warm, comforting side to a simple dinner of sardines on Wasa crackers.
Makes 4 servings
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 carrots, peeled and cut into half circles
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 bunch Swiss chard
15 oz can diced tomatoes
15 oz can cannellini beans, drained
15 oz vegetable broth
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 cans sardines in olive oil
8 Wasa crackers
1/4 red onion, chopped finely
3 tbsp capers
Olive oil, salt and pepper
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion and celery, sauteeing a few minutes until softened.
- Add garlic and stir briefly until garlic releases its aroma.
- Add 3 cups of water, the carrot slices, vegetable broth, diced tomatoes and cannellini beans. Strip the needles from the rosemary sprigs and add them to the soup. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer for 15 minutes or until carrot slices are tender.
- Remove stems from chard and cut into strips. Add to soup in the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- While soup cooks, drain sardines and remove backbone from center of each fish. Coarsely mash sardines and place on top of Wasa crackers to cover. Sprinkle with chopped onion and capers.