Curried Chickpeas with Roasted Broccoli
This is a hearty fall or winter dish that can be made almost entirely from pantry items if you substitute frozen spinach for the baby spinach listed below. Roasted broccoli provides a simple side to round out the meal.
Makes 4 servings
2 15 oz cans garbanzo beans
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1/2 red onion, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp minced ginger
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp each cumin and turmeric
1/4 tsp cayenne
10 oz baby spinach
1 bunch broccoli
2/3 c plain yogurt
Olive oil, salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- While oven heats, cut broccoli into florets and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet and put into oven for 25 minutes once oven reaches 425 degrees.
- Meanwhile, heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and sautee until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger, stir briefly. Add curry powder, cumin, turmeric and cayenne along with salt and pepper to taste and stir briefly to roast spices.
- Add tomatoes and garbanzo beans. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer.
- In the last 5 minutes of the broccoli roasting time, add baby spinach to garbanzo bean mixture and cook until wilted. Stir yogurt into garbanzo bean mixture.
- Serve curried garbanzo beans in bowls alongside roasted broccoli.
- Use pre-minced ginger, such as Ginger People Minced Ginger