Lamb Skewers with Grilled Figs and Arugula Salad
Tender lamb is complemented perfectly by the natural sweetness of fresh figs that is enhanced by the grill.
If it's late in the season and figs are not available, red pear chunks make a good substitute. Also, if the weather does not support grilling, the skewers and figs can be cooked 4" under a hot broiler for about 4 minutes per side or until done.
Makes 4 servings
1-1/2 lbs boneless lamb shoulder or sirloin
1 pint figs
3 cloves garlic, crushed
3 tbsp rosemary, chopped
10 oz baby arugula
4 oz Parmigiano Reggiano, finely grated
Olive oil, salt and pepper
In Advance: Make marinade and marinate lamb for at least 1 hour and up to 12 hours.
- Juice lemons. Reserve 1-1/2 tbsp of lemon juice for the salad dressing. Mix 1/4 cup of the remaining lemon juice with 1/4 cup olive oil, crushed garlic, chopped rosemary and salt and pepper to taste.
- Reserve 2-3 tbsp of marinade to coat the figs before grilling. Cut lamb into 1 to 1-1/2 inch cubes and toss with remaining marinade to coat. Refrigerate for 1-12 hours.
- Heat grill to 400 degrees.
- Toss figs with reserved marinade and thread lamb chunks onto skewers.
- Grill lamb skewers for about 15 minutes, rotating occasionally. Grill figs directly on grill during this time.
- To make salad, whisk together 1-1/2 tbsp reserved lemon juice with 3 tbsp olive oil and salt and pepper to taste in a large bowl. Add arugula and grated parmagiano reggiano, tossing to coat.
Note - if two people are preparing this meal, it works well for one person to grill the kabobs while the other prepares the salad.