Red Lentil Dal with Roasted Brussels Sprouts
This hearty, savory dal is easy to make in just 20 minutes on the stovetop and tastes like it came from a restaurant. Roasted brussels sprouts round out the meal so well that you won't even miss having rice with the dal.
Makes 4 servings
1-1/2 cups red lentils
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp minced ginger
1 tsp turmeric
3/4 tsp brown mustard seed
2 serrano chiles, seeded and sliced into half circles
3 tbsp chopped cilantro
2 lbs brussels sprouts
Olive oil, salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- While oven heats, trim and clean brussels sprouts. Toss on a baking sheet with olive oil, salt and pepper and put into oven for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, mix together red lentils, 4-1/2 cups water, lemon juice, minced ginger, turmeric and 3/4 tsp salt. Bring to a boil and then simmer covered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once lentils are cooked, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a small saucepan over medium high heat. Add mustard seeds and cover with lid. Shake gently until mustard seeds pop and turn grey. Turn off heat and add sliced chiles, stirring for a couple minutes until they stop sizzling.
- Add oil, mustard seed and chili mixture to red lentils along with chopped cilantro and stir to combine.
- Use pre-minced ginger, such as Ginger People Minced Ginger