Bratwurst with Braised Red Cabbage and Delicata Squash
Bratwurst takes on Oktoberfest flavors in this meal with braised red cabbage and delicata squash as sides.
Makes 4 servings
4 bratwurst sausages
1 large delicata squash or 2 smaller ones
1/2 head red cabbage
1 Fuji apple
1/2 red onion
3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp ground sage
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
8 oz vegetable broth
Olive oil, salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Halve and seed delicata squash. Cut into half moons and toss on a baking sheet with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Thinly slice red cabbage and red onion. Core and chop apple.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat. Add onion and sautee until it begins to soften, about 2 minutes. Add apples and sautee for a couple minutes longer. Add cabbage, vegetable broth, apple cider vinegar, thyme, sage, cinnamon and cloves along with salt and pepper to taste. Stir and cover, reducing heat to a simmer, stirring several times for 20 minutes*.
- Put delicata squash in the oven and roast for 20 minutes.
- While squash is roasting, heat a drizzle of olive oil in a frying pan over medium high heat. Brown bratwurst on both sides, add 1/4 cup water to pan and cover. Simmer on low until bratwurst is cooked, about 10 minutes.
*For a quicker, hands-free approach, sautee onion in the bottom of a pressure cooker, then add remaining ingredients and cook at pressure for 5 minutes.