Mussels in Tomato Mint Broth
This recipe is a variation of a favorite pasta recipe of mine from Mario Batali's Molto Italiano cookbook. Skipping the pasta and adjusting the liquid amounts results in a lighter, lower carb dish with a brothy tomato-mint sauce. A simple side salad rounds out the meal.
Makes 2 servings
2 lbs mussels
1/2 red onion
8 oz chicken broth
8 oz tomato sauce
2 tsp red chili flakes
1 bunch mint
4 oz baby romaine
1 red pepper
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
Olive oil, salt and pepper
- Scrub and debeard mussels.
- Thinly slice onion and remove mint leaves from stems.
- Chop red pepper and add to large bowl with baby romaine. In a small jar, shake together 3 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp red wine vinegar and 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large skillet, heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium high heat. Add red onions and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add mussels, red chili flakes and chicken broth to skillet and cover. Cook until mussels are opened, about 3 minutes. Add tomato sauce and mint, tossing until well-combined.
- Toss salad ingredients with dressing. Serve salad and mussels in bowls.
Note - if two people are preparing this meal, it works well for one person to clean the mussels and make the salad while the other preps the mussel ingredients and cooks the mussels.