Carne Asada Lettuce Wraps with Guacamole and Pico de Gallo
Makes 4 servings
1.5 lbs flank steak
Juice of 1 lime
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp oregano
2 large avocadoes
2 large tomatoes
1/2 cup diced white onion
2 serrano chiles
1/4 cup cilantro leaves, packed
1 head butter lettuce
Olive oil, salt and pepper
In Advance: Make marinade and marinate flank steak for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
- In a large bowl, mix together 2 tbsp olive oil, lime juice, garlic, chili powder and oregano. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss flank steak with marinade to coat. Refrigerate for 1-24 hours.
- Heat grill to 400 degrees.
- While grill is heating, start preparing pico de gallo and guacamole. Dice tomatoes, chilis and onions and coarsely chop cilantro, then mix these together in a medium bowl. Peel and coarsely mash avocado in another medium bowl.
- To finish guacamole, add about 1/2 cup of tomato mixture to mashed avocado, add salt to taste and stir to combine.
- To finish pico de gallo, squeeze 1/2 lime over the remaining tomato mixture, add salt to taste and stir to combine.
- Separate and wash lettuce leaves.
- Grill flank steak for about 3 minutes per side or to desired doneness. Allow to rest for 7 minutes, then slice thinly across the grain.
- Arrange flank steak, guacamole, pico de gallo and lettuce leaves on plates for making lettuce wraps.
Note - if two people are preparing this meal, it works well for one person to grill the steak while the other prepares the guacamole, pico de gallo and lettuce leaves.
- Use store-bought pico de gallo and guacamole rather than making your own.
- Mix a double batch of marinade and keep the remainder frozen for later use.