Chicken Souvlaki with Tzatziki and Greek Salad
Garlicky grilled chicken and creamy tzatziki need just a simple greek salad as a side for a healthy summer dinner on the patio that's easy to prepare.
Makes 4 servings
1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 English cucumber
1 cup plain yogurt, preferably greek yogurt
4 cloves garlic
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
1/2 tsp dill
1 large tomato
1 green pepper
1/4 red onion
3 oz feta cheese
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
Olive oil, salt and pepper
In Advance: Make souvlaki marinade and marinate chicken for at least 1 hour and up to 12 hours.
- In a large bowl, mix together 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp chopped oregano, 2 crushed cloves garlic with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut chicken into 1 to 1-1/2 inch cubes and toss with marinade to coat. Refrigerate for 1-12 hours.
- Heat grill to 400 degrees.
- While grill is heating, thread chicken onto skewers and make tzatziki.
- To make tzatziki, remove seeds from 1/2 of English cucumber, then grate the cucumber and squeeze as much moisture as possible out of it. Combine grated cucumber, plain yogurt, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp olive oil, 2 crushed cloves of garlic and dill in a small bowl with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill chicken kabobs for about 18 minutes total, rotating the kabobs every 3 minutes.
- While the kabobs cook, chop tomato, cucumber and green pepper into large chunks and add to a large bowl. Chop red onion coarsely and add to bowl along with feta cheese and 1 tbsp chopped oregano. Whisk together 2 tbsp olive oil with Dijon mustard and red wine vinegar in a small bowl. Pour over salad and toss salad to coat with dressing.
- Serve kabobs on a plate, with tzatziki and greek salad as side dishes.
Note - if two people are preparing this meal, it works well for one person to prepare and grill the kabobs while the other prepares the tzatziki and greek salad.
- Use store-bought tzatziki rather than making your own.
- Mix a double batch of marinade and keep the remainder frozen for later use.