Chicken and Mushroom Skewers with Braised Bok Choy
Chicken and mushroom skewers are enhanced by a savory, sugar-free teriyaki marinade. A simple side dish of garlicky braised bok choy rounds out the meal.
Makes 4 servings
1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
8 oz crimini mushrooms
2 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp unseasoned rice vinegar
1-1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tbsp sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp ginger, minced
Pinch of red pepper flakes
1 bunch baby bok choy
2 cloves garlic, sliced
Olive oil, salt and pepper
In Advance: Make teriyaki marinade and marinate chicken and mushrooms for at least 1 hour and up to 12 hours.
- In a large bowl, mix together soy sauce, rice vinegar, olive oil, sesame oil, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes.
- Cut chicken into 1 to 1-1/2 inch cubes. Mix chicken and mushrooms with marinade to coat. Refrigerate for 1-12 hours.
- Heat grill to 400 degrees.
- Meanwhile, thread chicken and mushrooms onto skewers.
- Cut baby bok choy into halves or quarters if large. Rinse thoroughly with water.
- Grill chicken mushroom kabobs for about 18 minutes total, rotating the kabobs every 3 minutes.
- While the kabobs cook, heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Add chopped garlic and sautee for about a minute until softened but not brown. Add baby bok choy along with 1/4 cup water and cover. Turn heat down to low and simmer for about 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally and adding additional water if needed.
Note - if two people are preparing this meal, it works well for one person to grill the kabobs while the other prepares the bok choy.
- Use pre-minced ginger, such as Ginger People Minced Ginger
- Mix a double batch of marinade and keep the remainder frozen for later use.