Chicken Shawarma with Braised Carrots and Cucumber-Yogurt Salad
The marinade in this recipe is a bit of work, but the flavor it adds to grilled chicken thighs is so worth the effort. A creamy cucumber-yogurt salad and cumin-scented braised carrots complement the spice of the chicken.
Cumin-scented braised carrots Cucumber-yogurt salad Sparkling water with lemon*
Makes 4 servings
4 large boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1.5lbs total)
1/4 cup olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon (about 3 tbsp)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp cayenne
Pinch of cinnamon
1lb baby carrots
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
2-3 Persian cucumbers (or 1 English cucumber), coarsely chopped.
1/4 red onion, chopped
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tbsp chopped mint leaves
Pinch of salt
In Advance: Make marinade and marinate chicken thighs for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
- In a large bowl, mix together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, paprika, cumin, salt, pepper, turmeric, cayenne and cinnamon.
- Add chicken to bowl and mix thoroughly to coat. Refrigerate for 1-24 hours.
- Heat grill to 400 degrees.
- While grill is heating, prepare salad. Mix together yogurt, garlic and mint. Add chopped cucumber and red onion, tossing to coat with dressing.
- Start carrots. Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a cast iron skillet or large frying pan. Add carrots and toss for a few minutes until they begin to brown. Sprinkle with cumin, salt and pepper and stir briefly. Add 1/4 cup water, cover and turn heat down to low. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally and adding more water if needed.
- While carrots simmer, grill chicken for about 6 minutes per side or until cooked through.
Note - if two people are preparing this meal, it works well for one person to grill the chicken while the other prepares the carrots and salad.
- Mix a double batch of marinade and keep the remainder frozen for later use.