Spinach Salad with Strawberries and Grilled Chicken
Our local farmers market had fresh strawberries this week, which inspired this dinner salad. Chives add just a hint of onion flavor to complement the goat cheese but without overpowering the sweet berries and a light, lemony dressing brings it all together.
Makes 4 servings
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
10 oz baby spinach
1 pint strawberries
4 oz crumbled goat cheese
3 tbsp minced chives
Juice of 1/2 lemon (about 1-1/2 tbsp)
Olive oil, salt and pepper
- Heat grill to 400 degrees.
- While grill is heating, lightly coat chicken with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill chicken for about 5 minutes per side or until cooked through. Slice into 1/2 inch thick slices before serving.
- In a large bowl, whisk lemon juice with 3 tbsp olive oil until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Slice strawberries. Add spinach and strawberries to dressing, tossing lightly to coat.
- Serve salad in bowls, topped with goat cheese, sliced chicken and chives.
Note - if saving half of recipe as leftovers, prepare everything through step 4 and then reserve half of all ingredients for the next day, keeping dressing separate from spinach and strawberries.