Teriyaki Chicken Thighs with Grilled Shiitake Mushrooms and Broccolini
Prepared teriyaki sauces are often full of sugars and artificial ingredients, but it is remarkably easy to mix together a tasty teriyaki marinade from just a few ingredients. This version adds chili flakes for just a bit of spice, though the marinade is also smooth and flavorful if they are omitted.
Grilled shiitake mushrooms Grilled broccolini Iced Genmaicha tea*
Makes 4 servings
4 large boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1.5lbs total)
2 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp unseasoned rice vinegar
1-1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tbsp sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp ginger, minced
Pinch of red pepper flakes
8oz shiitake mushrooms
1 bunch broccolini
1 tbsp olive oil
In Advance: Make teriyaki marinade and marinate chicken thighs for at least 1 hour and up to 12 hours.
- In a large bowl, mix together soy sauce, rice vinegar, olive oil, sesame oil, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes.
- Add chicken to bowl and mix thoroughly to coat. Refrigerate for 1-12 hours.
- Heat grill to 400 degrees.
- Meanwhile, trim bottoms from broccolini and stems from shiitake mushrooms. Coat both in olive oil.
- Grill chicken for about 6 minutes per side or until cooked through.
- After 4 minutes, add broccoli, grilling for about 8 minutes total.
- After 2 more minutes, add mushrooms, grilling for 3 minutes per side.
- Use pre-minced ginger, such as Ginger People Minced Ginger
- Mix a double batch of marinade and keep the remainder frozen for later use.