Italian Chicken Sausage with Greens and Sliced Tomatoes
Italian chicken sausage is flavorful on its own and only needs simple, quickly prepared sides to accompany it. To complement the Italian flavors of the sausage, we had garlicky, spiced greens along with fresh tomatoes topped with basil and olive oil. We used beefsteak tomatoes, but heirloom tomatoes would add a very nice touch to this dish if available.
Note that sausage can contain starches, sugars or artificial ingredients, so pay attention to the ingredients list. We used the Italian chicken sausage from PCC Natural Markets, a Seattle-area natural foods grocery store - their sausage contains just chicken, spices and lemon juice.
Spicy sauteed chard and kale Sliced tomatoes with basil and olive oil Iced mint tea*
Makes 4 servings
4 links Italian chicken sausage
1/2 bunch chard
1/2 bunch kale
1 clove garlic
Pinch of red pepper flakes
2 beefsteak tomatoes or heirloom tomatoes
2 sprigs of basil
Olive oil, salt and pepper
- Heat grill to 400 degrees.
- While grill is heating, chop chard and kale. Peel and coarsely chop garlic. Shred basil leaves.
- Slice tomatoes and place on plate. Top with a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkle with shredded basil.
- Grill sausages until cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Heat about 1 tbsp olive oil over medium high heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes. Stir briefly until garlic is golden but not browned.
- Add kale and chard, stirring until wilted.
Note - if two people are preparing the meal, it works well for one person to grill the sausages while the other prepares the side dishes.